Thursday, December 1, 2011

Photo Magnets--Holiday Craft

by Kristina Rust



I love making things.  I am definitely my mother's daughter.  My mom is the queen of craftiness.   She sews (she made my wedding dress), is a Master Gardner, has dabbled in stained glass, has painted, and has a knack for decorating.    While I don't necessarily share all of her talents, I do share the desire to create.

Anyway,  my love of photography has inspired me to not only snap pictures but to do something with them.  How many photos do you have sitting on your computer (your own photos--your kids, your family not your clients), waiting to be printed and shared whether it be with your friends and family or just for yourself?

Here is a super easy and inexpensive project that will turn your photos into great little magnets.  Or skip the magnets and just fill a bowl with inspirational words and your favorite photos.  These will make great holiday gifts (my secret Santa is going to receive some.....shhhh don't tell).


The Supplies (all purchased at Michaels):
  • Bottle of Modge Podge (I used matte finish)   cost:  $3.49
  • Tube of Amazing Goop (it really is amazing but stinky!) cost:  $4.99
  • Disc Magnets (.75 inch or 19mm from ProMAG) cost:  $6.99 (used a 40% off coupon for this)
  • Favorite Photos (I printed a bunch using the Contact Sheet II option in PSE8)
  • Jumbo Clear Luster Flat-Back Glass Marbles  cost:  $2.49
  • A small paint brush
  • An hour or so of time (and some good music playing in the background)


The Steps:

Step 1:  Print out some of your favorite photos onto matte finished photo paper.  I created a folder of favorite photos and then imported them into PSE 8 using the Contact Sheet II option under the file tab.  For the background below,  I used Kim Klassen's texture Phoebe (if you read this blog regularly, you know how much I love her textures).


Step 2:  Place the glass marble over each image you want to cut out and trace around it.  You will end up doing some extra trimming once the image is glued onto the marble but this will get you pretty close.

Step 3:  Put a coat of Modge Podge on the image (printed/photo side) and press the image (printed/photo side up) to your marble.  Don't worry the glue will dry clear.  Trim any excess paper from around the edges.

Step 4:  Once the image has started to set, add more Modge Podge to the back.  This is just to help adhere the edges to the glass.


Step 5:  Once your image has dried, use the Goop to glue your magnets to the backside of the marble.  Let it set for a few hours and voila.....you are done!



If you decide to not use magnets (cuz you have too much stainless steel in your house or nothing to stick these magnets on), you could cut out felt to adhere to the backsides too (just as a nice finish).

If you are looking for some other ideas for your photos, check out the frame I made a couple of weeks ago (inspired the amazing women at Camp Shutter Sisters) and next week I'll show you how to make these.....photo blocks......Yep, I'm on a Modge Podge kick!

3 comments:

  1. Love the crafts! I am going to make some magnets this weekend. And, I love the idea of putting some in a bowl :) I'll be checking back for the tutorial on how to make that unique frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, these are so amazing. I love them! I am looking forward to seeing the ones with the block, too.

    I am not at all crafty. I mean, not at all. But I was thinking yesterday that it would be fun to have a little craft thing for New Year's Eve this year. Something like this might just be THE thing. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words. siobahn you'll have to post pics of what you create.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.