Tuesday, July 12, 2011

BEHIND THE LENS: Lindsay Horn, Dallas, TX


When we met Lindsay, she was on bed rest and had just a few weeks to go before her delivery date.  We love her work (especially how she utilizes backlighting) and were excited to showcase her talent.  However with a baby on the way, we  figured it might have to wait.  But lucky for us, we got her interview just days before her darling daughter Finley was born.  Congratulations Lindsay on the birth of your sweet little girl, born June 28, 2011.  

Your Name: Lindsay Horn
Your studio/business name: Lindsay Horn Photography / LHP Seniors
Location: Dallas, Texas



Your Style

In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography?
I’ve heard my work described as modern, fresh, and uniquely personal.  I really strive to capture my clients’ personalities in a natural and relaxed way.  Particularly with my seniors, I try to draw out the many facets of their personalities – from playful and fun to that inner supermodel! 

Are you self-taught or classroom trained? 
I took one course during my last semester of college on Digital Photography where I learned all of the basics, but other than that I’ve learned through good old trial and error and lots of practice, as well as some workshops and mentorships. 

How many years have you been a professional photographer? 
Two years

Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years?  
I would love to have a dedicated space in my home or elsewhere for client meetings and sales sessions.  I also may narrow my specialization at some point in the future.   

Is there a photographer who inspires your style?  Who would that be? 
I draw inspiration from so many photographers, but since I shoot mainly seniors, I really love Michelle Moore, Sarah Lane (Studio 12 Seniors), and Amanda Holloway. 

Favorite location to take photos?
Yikes, I shoot all on location and aside from the long list of spots that I use, I’m always on the lookout!  I love the areas around White Rock Lake in Dallas – it’s such a versatile little oasis in the midst of our big city. 

Favorite vacation spot? 
My family has some property in Central Texas that I love to visit (we call it “the ranch”).  It’s so relaxing and beautiful, and it would be my favorite place to shoot if it were closer!




Your Business

What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer? 
Like many photographers, I really started to get serious about improving my technical skills after my first daughter was born.  I wanted to capture every little moment!  Friends and family started seeing what I was doing and asking for sessions, and it grew from there! 

What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you?  
I book 95% from word of mouth.  I try to give my clients a custom-tailored experience that they want to talk to others about!

What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you? 
I haven’t gotten too many surprising questions, although I was asked about traveling across the country for a senior portrait session.  I was honored! 

Favorite print lab?
I use WHCC and Millers for different things, but I love them both!


Your Gear

Are you Canon or Nikon (or –other): 
Nikon all the way!

If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be?
My hands-down favorite lens is my 85mm 1.8.  It is dreamy!  

What brand bag do you carry your camera in?
I use a Shootsac during sessions while shooting, and a Lowepro Slingshot backpack to transport all of my gear to and from sessions. 

What gear would we find in your camera bag? 
I have a D700 and my D80 for backup, the 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2, and 24-70mm f/2.8. I also have one SB600, although I’ve never used it on a professional job, along with my memory cards, lens cleaner, bottle of water, and small towel. 

Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan? 
All natural light – I am a serious backlight junkie.  Give me gorgeous evening light and a reflector and I’m set!  I am hoping to experiment some with OCF in the future though.

Are you PC or Mac? PC


Your Tips and Tricks

What post processing tools do you use? 
I use Bridge and ACR for culling and Raw editing, and then I do my final touches in CS4.

Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg? Raw

Best advice you would give your 20-year old self? 
To cherish every phase of life, whether business, personal, or otherwise.  Even the hard ones have their silver linings, and the best ones too easily get taken for granted! 

Best advice you would give a new photographer?  
Don’t rush into it!  You only get one chance to make a first impression – take your time building your portfolio, researching the business side of things, and educating yourself.  Having a successful photography business is 90% business and 10% photography, so don’t overlook the business side of things! 

What site do you use for your photography and why?  
I use Photobiz for my websites, Wordpress for my blog, and Photocart for online proofing.  Photobiz has the BEST customer service of any business I’ve ever worked with and the interface is extremely easy to use.  Web design is not my thing, so that was key for me. 


What Else Should We Know?

What was your worst photography experience? 
When switching lenses during a session once, I started getting a weird error message that I had never seen before and all of my images were black.  I had to excuse myself to the car where luckily I keep my manual so I could consult it.  I did figure out the problem, but I was freaking out! 

What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not? 
I used to be terribly, painfully shy.  I still get a kick out of the fact that I work in a field where interpersonal relationships and interaction is so important.  With that being said, I’m not shy at all anymore, and I pride myself on the relationships I develop with my clients.  I do still have an “anxious” personality let’s say, and I still get really nervous before every shoot.

Tell us something else you’d like us to know: 
I’m actually pregnant with my second daughter and have been on bed rest for about 6 weeks.  I’m hoping that by the time this is published she will be here!  J  I did have to cancel my last two sessions and my clients had to pick up their orders (I usually hand-deliver them myself), but I seriously have the best clients on the planet – they have been amazingly understanding and check on me via Facebook, text, and email all the time.  I’m so blessed!


And just because we want to know you better, fill in the blanks:

Three things I can’t live without….My family, my camera, and Blue Bell ice cream. 
I wish I had more…..time.
The best thing about being a photographer is…capturing images that make my clients feel wonderful about themselves. 
The most important lesson I ever learned was….to put God first in your life and trust in Him.
My favorite time of day is…the couple of hours before sunset, I just love that creamy golden light!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview with Lindsay. I've admired her work for awhile now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.