Tuesday, March 8, 2011

BEHIND THE LENS: WITH ISABELLE LAFRANCE, CANADA

We have been longtime admirers of Isabelle Lafrance.  When we approached her about doing an interview for our new Moms Who Click blog and she readily agreed, we were over the moon!  Isabelle has been a mentor to many, her blog is filled with amazing creations including textures and actions which she often generously provides free of charge.  She has a wonderful array of items in her boutique for purchase that you will absolutely love.  We have benefitted greatly from her artistic background, Thank You, Isabelle!  

Isabelle also introduces her audience to many other wonderful artists and skilled photographers.  You will find once you have visited her site you'll come back over and over. And check out the logo side of her fast growing business, Pink Sparrow Studio.  We are priviledged and honored to reveal our Moms Who Click interview with Isabelle LaFrance.  Welcome!

Your Name: Isabelle Lafrance
Your studio/business name: Isabelle Lafrance photography
Location: Montreal, Canada



Your Style 

  • In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography? Evocative, soulful and soothing.  People always tell me my portraiture work is touching them in many ways, and my fine art photography is calming, peaceful.
  • Are you self-taught or classroom trained? I studied arts, not photography,  that has a great influence in how I “see” an image. So you can say self-trained in regards to photography.
  • How many years have you been a professional photographer? Three years.  Going digital has allowed me to have greater confidence in myself.  I did start with film, but limited the amount of contracts due to the stress it was giving me.  I feel I have more confidence now that I know I can delete images as often as I want.
  • Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years?  I'd like to see it grow, mostly the digital resources Boutique part.  My home studio could get more use as well, I'd like to develop the studio work a little bit more, natural light has it's limits here up north.
  • Is there a photographer who inspires your style?  Who would that be?  Many, many, many, they all do at some point.  I'm a big fan of Jessica Drossin and Gina Kolsrud.
  • Favorite location to take photos? Open fields with grasses swaying in the breeze.
  • Favorite vacation spot? New England :)
Your Business
  • What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer? I wanted to study photography as a teenager, but back then the cost of film and lab supplies was too expensive for the young adult I was, I put my dream aside for a while.  When I got my hands on a digital camera I knew I could come back to my initial dream.
  • What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you? Never compromise your style and who you are.  Don't go with the trends if it doesn't suit who you are even if everyone does it.  Stay true to what you are.
  • What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you? I don't know, I guess I'm always surprised by a pregnant woman who doesn't want to show her belly (without the clothes on, you guessed, the bump is rather hard to hide :) )
  • Favorite print lab? A small local lab here, not any of the big guns.
Your Gear
  • Are you Canon or Nikon (or – gasp--“other”): Canon
  • If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be? 85mm f/1.8
  • What brand bag do you carry your camera in? JoTotes
  • What gear would we find in your camera bag? Camera, two lenses, speedlite, remote, extra battery, extra memory card.  That's on a usual outing.
  • Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan? Natural light, but don't mind the strobes.
  • Are you PC or Mac? PC

Your Tips and Tricks

  • What post processing tools do you use? LR and CS5 (Adobe LightRoom and Creative Suites 5)
  • Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg? Raw
  • Best advice you would give your 20-year old self? Be patient, everything falls into place when it's supposed to.
  • Best advice you would give a new photographer? Practice, practice, practice.  Be inspired by others, but develop your own style.
  • What site do you use for your photography and why? I have a website with Portfoliositez, beautiful and easy to customize templates.  I'm not really html savvy and want an easy platform to work on.  My blog is still on blogger for the endless customization options.


What Else Should We Know?
  • What was your worst photography experience? I really have trouble getting an overly shy person to get confident in front of the camera, I respect and understand their uneasiness, but sometimes have trouble have them open up to my lens.  This one particular shoot I have in mind, ended up with pretty photos, but they had not much “soul” in them.  I didn't feel the connection, so it could not be more than a decent shoot.
  • What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not? I really don't know, I'm quite the typical girl next door :)
  • Tell us something else you’d like us to know:  I'm a photographer who studied arts, but then I'm also a psychoeducator :)  I'm quite a complex person you might say.  I loved working in pediatrics psychiatry; I guess that also shows up in how I photograph children.
And just because we want to know you, please fill in the blanks
  • Three things I can’t live without…. Things, not persons?  Three persons would be  my hubby and my two sons.  Three things, camera, coffee, books
  • I wish I had more….. Time to do all those projects I have in mind
  • The best thing about being a photographer is… Being your own boss and deciding yourself on how much you are ready to dedicate to your work.
  • The most important lesson I ever learned was…. If your heart is not in it, don't do it.
  • My favorite time of day is… Morning
And because we had extra time, we asked Isabelle Lafrance some more questions...

  • What inspired you to create your blog and share all of the wonderful tips and tricks you have learned along the way?  It only seemed like the right thing to do, I figured that since I had learned so much by myself through other resources, might as well give some of it back.
  • How does your background in the arts as well as being a psycho-educator play into your work today? LOL...  I should have read all the questions before getting down to this one, I feel like I've already answered this one.  I believe that my artistic background helps me compose an image that has a certain aesthetic mood in it, and my work as a psychoeducator adds the human, or more soulful part in it.
  • What gifts do you feel you have relayed to your children through your photography? I hope they can see how beautiful they are, not only from the outside, but from their beautiful personalities that shine through as well.
  • What are your wishes for your children? To be truly happy, to find joy and be themselves, whoever they are destined to become.
  • Lastly – where do you see yourself after your children have left the nest? I'm not ready for this one, I haven't thought about this yet, one day at the time for now...  But I have some ideas :)
Click this forward, share this with your peeps!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow.....what a lovely write up with a great insight into Isabelle Lafrance. I so adore her work and she does a wonderful and ever so passionate job of giving to her fans and adding beauty into our own Art. I love how she shares her journey and helps people like me learn along the way. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Isabelle's art and look to her for a lot of my inspiration. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.