Tuesday, July 21, 2015

BEHIND THE LENS: Daisy Beatty Photography, NYC and East Hampton, NY

We were delighted to receive the following interview from a wonderful follower of our blog.  Daisy hails from New York but her experience in West Hollywood working for Comedy Central and Intuitive Entertainment gave her insight on telling a story through her lens. Daisy also worked as a Special Assistant District Attorney in NYC. Her experience, training with established mentors and working on new projects keep this talented photographer up-to-speed with the latest.  Please welcome as we introduce Daisy and her amazing work!



Your Name: Daisy Beatty
Your studio/business name: Daisy Beatty Photography
Location: New York City & East Hampton NY
Other: Instagram: daisybeatty



In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography?

My clients have described the shoots as fun, lighthearted and, in many cases, empowering. My photographs have been described as ethereal, soulful, and humorous. I try to create images that have a combination of beauty and meaning. 

Are you self-taught or classroom trained?    A combination of both.
How many years have you been a professional photographer? Part time for 9 years, full time for one year. 

Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years? 
I would love to work in more locations. Right now I work primarily in NYC, theHamptons, Greenwich CT, and Boston MA. I’m doing my first shoot on Martha’s Vineyard this summer; I’d love to work there and Nantucket every year. I’d also love to do more work in Los Angeles, where I used to live, and to photograph clients in the Caribbean. 

Is there a photographer who inspires your style?  Who would that be? 
Oh gosh, there are so many wonderful photographers. The first photographers who really moved and inspired me were Sally Mann and Diane Arbus.  

Favorite location to take photos?  
Anywhere with beautiful light. Manhattan is fantastic because you can take photographs with a city feel and an outdoorsy park feel in one shoot. 

Favorite vacation spot? 
South Africa, Turks & Caicos, Croatia, East Hampton



Your Business:

What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer? 
I’ve adored photography since I was young and have taken classes since high school. My love of photography was always there, so about a year ago I decided to go for it full time. I love it! Part of me wishes I’d gone full time earlier, but I feel lucky to have had a wonderful career before this too. 

What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you? SEO is huge. 

What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you? I’ve heard it all, and love working with clients to ensure they have an experience they love. I’m always touched by how willing clients are to include me in intimate and special moments in their lives. 

Favorite print lab? Miller’s 



Your Gear

Are you Canon or Nikon: Nikon

If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be? For an outdoor shoot, my 70 – 200 mm 2.8; for studio my 24 – 70 mm 2.8

What brand bag do you carry your camera in? Backpacker. It’s an odd bag I found on Amazon that has served me well.

What gear would we find in your camera bag? Nikon D800, Nikon D200, 50mm 1.8, 24 – 70mm 2.8; 70mm-200mm 2.8

Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan? In general natural light, but I love using the strobe in my studio for maternity and newborn photography

Are you PC or Mac? Mac!



Your Tips and Tricks

What post processing tools do you use? Photoshop, and occasionally Lightroom

Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg? both

Best advice you would give your 20-year old self? See the world. Keep working hard, keep pursuing your passions, keep creating opportunities for yourself.  

Best advice you would give a new photographer? Take classes, practice, practice, practice. Work hard, and you will start to see results. 

What site do you use for your photography and why? I use bludomain, and wordpress. Bludomain has been great: it was my first website, I started it in 2008. Since then I’ve grown into liking Wordpress a lot too, for it’s simplicity and flexibility. 

What Else Should We Know?

What was your worst photography experience? My own second grade class photos – my mother wanted me to wear a dress and I REALLY didn’t want to. 

What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not? I can spin a basketball on my finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.