Tuesday, June 14, 2011

BEHIND THE LENS: Mallorie Johnson, (Florida & Germany)

Today we travel to Florida where we meet with Mallorie Johnson. Oh wait, actually we're still in Europe traveling to Germany where Mallorie currently resides as she is part of a military family.  Thank you, Mallorie - we appreciate what your family does for the USA!

Mallorie's fate was sealed the day she answered an ad to become a photographer's assistant. From that day forward she was hooked.   She has some great lessons for all of us to learn from.  And of course stop by her site and see the sample of images she has shared with us, they are stunning.  Personally I love the balloon photo~love it!

We are proud to introduce Mallorie!



Your Name: Mallorie Johnson
Your studio/business name: GND Photograhy
Location: Kentucky based, currently residing in Germany (Military family)
Website: http://www.wix.com/GNDPhotography/GND-Photography

Your Style

In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography?
I would say I have a very eclectic style. I have a passion for all sorts of photography and I think it shows through in my work. I do love the vintage bohemian look. But I feel that my attention to detail is what my clients love the most.

Are you self-taught or classroom trained?
A little bit of both. I have had some training, but mostly self taught. I am very big into research and always bettering my photography. Always looking for new and exciting!

How many years have you been a professional photographer?
I have owned my business for 3 years now. I have been working in the photography field since 2004.

Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years?  
I would love to narrow down to a specialty or two. :) I love working with kids and having their personalities shine through a portrait.

Favorite location to take photos?  
There is a castle very close to where I live and I love the old ruin look to it. It is simple breathtaking.

Favorite vacation spot?
There is a fantastic spot in Italy that my husband and I just love. It is in Cinque Terra and is called Vernazza. It is the perfect relaxation vacation spot.


Your Business

What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer?
I answered an ad in a local paper of a photographer looking for an assistant and got the job. I was hooked from day one!

What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you?
I don't really advertise except posting sneak peeks of a clients session on Facebook. Word of mouth has been the best marketing tool for me. My clients and fans are amazing!!!

What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you?
 “Can I fly you and your daughter 7000 miles to photograph my wedding?!” I think YES! <3 (I have had two of these offers!)

Favorite print lab?  
I love WHCC or Zenfolio.


Your Gear

Are you Canon or Nikon (or – other):
Nikon girl for sure!

If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be?
My Nikon 24-70mm lens for sure!!!

What brand bag do you carry your camera in?
I have an awesome hot pink Kelly Moore camera bag! I will never go back to the basic boring black ones!

What gear would we find in your camera bag? 
Extra memory cards, LensBaby composer lens, and bobby pins!

Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan?
Natural light :)

Are you PC or Mac?
Mac! 



Your Tips and Tricks

What post processing tools do you use?
Light room and Photoshop are my favorites!

Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg?
A little of both, all depends on the shoot.

Best advice you would give your 20-year old self?
Don't price yourself to cheap! Value yourself and your product!

Best advice you would give a new photographer?  
Same I would give to my 20 year old self. It is very important not to undersell yourself. I would also say let your personality and creativity shine through.

What site do you use for your photography and why?
I have a Facebook fan site and that is pretty much all that I use. Pretty much everyone has a Facebook page and its just so easy and convenient! 


What Else Should We Know?

What was your worst photography experience?
I had a client once that was very demanding and I felt that she was being very unreasonable. Legal actions were threatened, but I was in the right and stuck to my business standards and everything worked out fine in the end. I have learned from my mistakes and now have contracts for every session.

What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not? 
I am very big into the arts! I love musicals and love to be on stage!

Tell us something else you’d like us to know:
I love my “job”. It is simply amazing. I love everything about it! 
And Just Because we want to know you, kindly fill in the blanks –

Three things I can’t live without…. My husband, my daughter, and my phone. ;)
I wish I had more….. time during the day!
The best thing about being a photographer is… I can make my own schedule :)
The most important lesson I ever learned was…. Never lower your standards.
My favorite time of day is… when I get to spend time with my fantastic family.

Share this! Click this forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.