Tuesday, May 31, 2011

BEHIND THE LENS: Heline Bekker, London, UK

The beautifully stunning work of Heline Bekker is showcased today.  Heline was referred to us by Lauren Baker, a fellow photographer from the UK.   Heline has had a passion for photography since she was a little girl.  She loves the creativity and drama that can be captured through photography.   Her goal is to become a destination photogapher in a few years.  Check out her work, and welcome Heline to our series!

Your Name: Heline Bekker
Your studio/business name: Heline Bekker Photography
Location: London
Website: www.helinebekker.co.uk
Blog: www.helinebekker.co.uk/blog
Twitter: HelineB (http://twitter.com/HelineB)


Your Style

In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography?
I would say relaxed, fun and creative. I love to make people feel at ease and would never do something the clients don’t like. I also like creative photography and I aim to produce high quality images that will tell a story.

Are you self-taught or classroom trained?
Self-taught. I read a lot of articles online and ask a lot of questions. I learn better through practice.

How many years have you been a professional photographer?
Since August 2010.

Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years?
I would like to be a destination photographer.

Is there a photographer who inspires your style?  Who would that be?
Oh, there are so many! Here are a few and I’ll tell you why I like them:
I love her work and she’s a great mentor
*Segerius Bruce Photography: http://www.segeriusbruceblog.com/
stunning destination wedding photography
stunning black & white nature photography
simply stunning and inspirational

Favorite location to take photos?
Definitely somewhere outdoors in nature.

Favorite vacation spot?
Maldives! But that was just once. Otherwise Africa :) My mum lives in Namibia and you simply cannot take a bad photo in that country. It’s gorgeous!


Your Business

What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer?
This probably sounds so cliché, but I’ve loved photography from a young age. I remember someone gave me an old broken camera when I was 7 and I was so fascinated with looking through the view finder and pressing the shutter button. Unfortunately circumstances led to me not being able to own a camera or being able to study it. When I turned 21 I got a little point and shoot camera for my birthday, but buying film and developing it was a luxury for me, so I could take as much photos. So the love of photography was there, but I could never pursue it.  So when I came to the UK I bought a small digital camera and picked up my love for photography. So about 6 years ago I did a few weddings, but just didn’t have the drive and the guts to REALLY go for it, so I gave up. So last year I decided that it’s just nonsense that I just gave up. So since August 2010 I went full steam again.

What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you?
I have to say so far Facebook has been good to me, but also building relationships with other vendors and photographers is really important.

What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you?
Someone phoned me once and asked if I shoot nudes. At the time I haven’t thought about nudes and asked him what he had in mind. After a lot of um-ing and ah-ing it turns out he wanted provocative nudes with him ‘making love’ to the camera. It’s true! I said no and decided that day that I will not be doing nudes.

Favorite print lab?
Loxley


Your Gear
Are you Canon or Nikon (or – other):
NIKON!!!

If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be?
My 80-200mm f2.8

What brand bag do you carry your camera in?
Lowepro

What gear would we find in your camera bag?
Nikon D700
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8
SB900 flashgun

Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan?
I like both actually. I like flash because you can create a bit of drama.

Are you PC or Mac?
PC


Your Tips and Tricks

What post processing tools do you use?
Lightroom 3

Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg?
RAW

Best advice you would give your 20-year old self?
Don’t be scared, just do it!

Best advice you would give a new photographer?
Learn your camera inside out and practice practice practice. DO NOT shoot in auto. Never think that you are better than others. Smile!

What site do you use for your photography and why?
I built my own website and I use Wordpress for my blog. I also use Zenfolio for my clients to view and download/purchase images.



What Else Should We Know?

What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not?
I did target shooting as a sport in school, but I do NOT like hunting! I’m also actually very shy and have to work hard on my confidence. But I’m very friendly, so that helps.  

Tell us something else you’d like us to know:
I really love creative photoshoot like fantasy type shoots. You can be as creative and crazy as you want!

And Just Because we want to know you, kindly fill in the blanks – thanks!


Three things I can’t live without…. my husband, my camera and God.
I wish I had more….. gorgeous sunlight!
The best thing about being a photographer is… being creative and hearing people love your work.
The most important lesson I ever learned was…. to have a contract.
My favorite time of day is… sunset.

Click this forward!

4 comments:

  1. Heline I'm so glad you decided it was a mistake to just give up!! It is so obvious that you put all you heart into your work and it is inspiring to see! Keep up all your hard work and hoping your dream of becoming a destination photographer comes true :)

    Lauren xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh nice picture. Those couple are so nice.GOOD blase them.
    city hall wedding photographer

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! Heline Bekker , you took really some extra ordinary excellent couple pictures..couples are looking simply amazing! You have the creativity and good eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your every shoot there's some kind of touch of nature..It seems that nature and couples are mixed with each other..it brings them to a different romantic world.Really amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing such a informative useful article aw well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.