Tuesday, March 29, 2011

BEHIND THE LENS: JACQUELINE PARSONS


It has been such a pleasure working on our Behind the Lens series.  We have met so many wonderful photographers and continue to meet more.  Today we are excited to feature Jacqueline Parsons of Parsons Photography.  

Your Name: Jacqueline Parsons
Your studio/business name: Parsons Photography
Location: Ridgeley, WV

Your Style:
  • In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography? I pay attention to the details. I photograph from many different perspectives to find the ones that suit that specific client. I spend time trying to figure out how to best express that client. I strive to tell a story with their photographs.
  • Are you self-taught or classroom trained? Self-taught but I'm in a class right now.
  • How many years have you been a professional photographer? Just opened the business last fall.
  • Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years? I want to be known locally as a photographer with a different perspective. I've recently started offering boudoir photography and would love for that to take off. Eventually, I'd love to have my photos published.
  • Is there a photographer who inspires your style?  Who would that be? Jessica Fike from Jessica Fike Photography – She's fresh & fun. I also love Erin Tole Photography and Bobbi + Mike.
  • Favorite location to take photos? I love photographing people in places of their choosing because it tells a bit about who they are. But if I were to choose the location it would be somewhere in the middle of the woods.
  • Favorite vacation spot? The beach! Any warm one will do.
Your Business:
  • What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer? I think I've always had it in me, but I never really pursued it. My husband & I photographed my brother's wedding and a friend's wedding. Everyone raved about the photos. It was then that I thought this could actually be a business and not simply a hobby.
  • What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you? Utilize the social media tools available. Facebook has redefined what "word of mouth" means. Just the other night I posted a few photos from a boudoir session. That girl shared the photos on her personal page. By the next morning I had 5 new clients ready to book.
  • What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you? I haven't been left speechless by a customer... yet.
  • Favorite print lab? Mpix
Your Gear:
  • Are you Canon or Nikon (or – gasp--“other”): Canon
  • If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be? A prime, for sure. I love my Sigma 30mm at the moment.
  • What brand bag do you carry your camera in? One that I made myself. I converted my favorite diaper bag. (http://www.talesofthewife.com/2011/01/diy-camera-bag-from-purse-tutorial.html%29
  • What gear would we find in your camera bag? 7D, Speedlite, batteries, zoom lens just in case, Yummy Earth lollipops & diapers. I know, I know.
  • Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan? Natural light but I work with both.
  • Are you PC or Mac? PC for now
Your Tips and Tricks:
  • What post processing tools do you use? Love Lightroom but I also use Gimp and PS7
  • Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg? Raw, definitely
  • Best advice you would give your 20-year old self? Trust yourself
  • Best advice you would give a new photographer? Learn all you can from experienced photographers, and never stop learning.
  • What site do you use for your photography and why? Zenfolio because let's face it, with two in diapers, ease of use is extremely important. I love the client access on Zenfolio. 
What Else Should We Know?
  • What was your worst photography experience? A senior didn't really want his photos taken. Mom was there, he was uncooperative and I was inexperienced at how to get him to come out of his shell. Toward the end of the shoot he was smiling and laughing more. I learned that by asking a few questions and cracking a few jokes you can find out about a client's personality and get them to open up.
  • What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not? I'm a total science geek. I have a B.S. in Biology.
  • Tell us something else you’d like us to know: I write a natural parenting blog where I talk about life with my boys including info about cloth diapering, tutorials on crafty projects & reviews & giveaways of green products. It's called Tales of the Wife
And just because we want to know you, fill in the blanks:
  • Three things I can’t live without…. My boys, the internet & chocolate
  • I wish I had more….. patience
  • The best thing about being a photographer is… capturing candid moments so people can see themselves as they really are.
  • The most important lesson I ever learned was…. To just believe in the ideas you have within yourself. No one knows the vision you have in your mind. Show them.
  • My favorite time of day is… NAP TIME!
Click this forward - share it with your friends and fellow photographer colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.