Tuesday, March 22, 2011

BEHIND THE LENS: CHRIS SHUM, CALIFORNIA


We met Chris through a mutual friend.  When I discovered Chris was a professional photographer, I had to check out his award winning work.  I love how he captures the moment in a wedding when the bride and groom are caught totally unaware.  He captures sweet, funny and endearing moments forever.  Chris is well on his way to achieving his goal - that of becoming a destination wedding photographer.  Check out his unique style, herewith is our reveal - Chris Shum!

Your Name: Chris Shum
Your studio/business name: Be My Photographer
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1220255046 (A fan page is on its way)


Your Style

·      In 50 words or less, how would your clients describe your photography? My clients like my simple yet elegant, observant yet un-obstructive approach. They will just be themselves at either an important event of their lives, or a photo shoot of a slice of their daily lives, and I will be there to capture the memorable and true moments.
·      Are you self-taught or classroom trained? Self-taught
·      How many years have you been a professional photographer? 5 years
·      Where do you want to take your photography business in 5 years?  World-class destination wedding photographer
·      Is there a photographer who inspires your style? Who would that be?  That would be Ben Chrisman. I met him at my sister-in-law’s wedding and we became good friends since then. His endless creativity pushes standards to the extreme which blows me away all the time.
·      Favorite location to take photos?  It will be San Francisco with all sorts of beautiful spots and varieties.

·      Favorite vacation spot?  Anywhere with my family.


Your Business

·      What was the pivotal moment when you decided to become a photographer?  I always loved photographing people since I was a kid and it just happened at one point a few years back while I got fed up being an engineer for the rest of my life. I wanted to do something more creative.
·      What’s the best marketing tip that has worked for you?  Word-by-mouth and being an award-winning photographer in the major wedding photography competitions.
·      What’s the most surprising thing a customer has asked you?  “Could you use Photoshop and add some hair to my bald husband?” “Could you fix my mother-in-law’s double chin and tighten my grandma’s turkey neck?” Sorry, but I am just a photographer, not a plastic surgeon. And using post-processing techniques to change a person’s look to me is too unnatural.
·      Favorite print lab? I’ve been using WHCC for many years. Their super quality and professionalism always achieves and even exceeds my expectations.


Your Gear

·      Are you Canon or Nikon (or – gasp--“other”):  Straight Canon
·      If you could only have one lens on a photo shoot, what would it be?  Canon 35mm 1.4
·      What brand bag do you carry your camera in?  Tamrac
·      What gear would we find in your camera bag?  Canon Full Frame DSLR Cameras, all sorts of L-Series prime, wide angle and zoom lens, flashes, lots of batteries and memory cards.
·      Are you a natural light fan or strobe fan?  Natural light
·      Are you PC or Mac? PC

Your Tips and Tricks

·      What post processing tools do you use?  Majority in Lightroom and a small portion of pictures in Photoshop
·      Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg?  Raw only.
·      Best advice you would give your 20-year old self?  Follow your passion and start the photography business early.
·      Best advice you would give a new photographer?  Develop you own style, be unique always
·      What site do you use for your photography and why?  I am currently using Bludomain for website template, They are inexpensive and easy to customize. And I customize eBlogger for my blog posts. The format of eBlogger is clean and straight forward.



What Else Should We Know?

·       What was your worst photography experience?  I don’t really have the worst photography experience, but a bit scary and unique experience - I was trying to get a good angle during a ceremony, and got too close to a candle and burnt a hole in my shirt. Luckily, I realized soon enough and only my shirt was sacrificed. I’m still saving this shirt as my souvenir.
·      What would surprise people most about you, whether it is photography related or not?  People are usually so surprised to see how my pictures come out just using a simple way to shoot and light gears.
·      Tell us something else you’d like us to know:  I am also a destination photographer. People always wonder why my client would like to spend extra money to hire me instead of the locals. I think my pictures just speak for themselves. I am an international award-winning photographer in two of the most renowned international wedding organizations: Wedding Photojournalistic Association (WPJA) and International Society of Professional Wedding Photographer (ISPWP).

Click it forward - click this on to your friends and colleagues! Click Click Click!

1 comment:

  1. Having well planned locations and a smooth transportation plan are important factors in keeping your wedding day events moving along as smoothly as you planned.
    city hall wedding photographer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate and read each and every one.